I have to brag a little today. I have a beautiful baby. Having said that, I wonder if my little darling is truly more beautiful than all other babies, or am I bit biased. Are people are just telling me she is beautiful to be polite?
I had an appointment with my Gyno today at American Hospital. My doctor's office is located in the same building where E was born. So it happened that we ran into the doctor that delivered E while waiting for an elevator. She took one look at E and said, "Wow, she certainly is one of the prettier babies I have delivered in a long time". My heart smiled and my face screamed a silent "YES!" when the dr. got off the elevator. For the rest of the afternoon I kept looking at other babies we past and thinking to myself, "my baby is prettier than that one, and that one, and that one...".
The dr.'s comment really boosted my ego today. It also made me wonder why it is polite to tell parents their child is beautiful even when they aren't. Looking at myself in the mirror today and seeing the bags under my eyes and poop stain on my shirt (opps!), I thought maybe it is society's way of saying, "Hang in there. Raising children is rewarding". After all later in the afternoon when I saw the mother of a screaming newborn at the grocery store, I commented on her gorgeous baby boy then thought to myself, 'I am so glad I am past that stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment